Cinnamon Raisin Bread is the perfect breakfast or snack! We've been enjoying this loaf so much that we just had to share it with you guys.
I've been making cinnamon raisin bread for years using various recipes but I was never happy with the results! Honestly, none of them were as good as what I could buy at Whole Foods. Now, that has totally changed! I decided to develop my own recipe for cinnamon raisin bread. Caylie came up with the way to shape it. And together, we have come up with a final product that really makes me happy and tastes great!
How to make cinnamon raisin bread
I'm sure I probably do this a bit differently than most. This recipe is vastly different than any other ones I have tried in the past!
First things first! You have to make sure you read through the entire recipe and gather all your ingredients together before you begin. This is not a recipe that mis en place is vital, but it does keep you from forgetting something!
For this bread, I made a sweet dough flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. I combined softened (not melted) butter with brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour to make a schmear! I then spread that on my rolled out dough.
Be aware that it's not going to spread spread perfectly on its own! It takes a little effort so you are going to have to work it until you cover the entire surface of the dough - all the way to the edges. I promise it does get there eventually! Just have patience.
When you get the schmear smeared, sprinkle the raisins over the sweet dough.
Make sense so far?
Now, you have to cut the dough in half. Then cut each half of dough into four equal strips. A pizza cutter makes this an easy job and doesn't tear the dough!
Roll up each of the strips jelly-rolls style starting with the long sides. Pinch (or have someone hold the edges) all 4 strips together and braid. Tuck the ends under and place in your prepared loaf pan. Cover and set aside to rise. It is important to remember that you will need to cover this bread with foil 15-20 minutes into the cook time to keep it from over-browning!
- Gather all ingredients before beginning!
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- When braiding, making sure you always start with the far end.
- While baking, make sure to cover your loaf pan with foil after 15-20 minutes to keep from over browning!
When you make this Cinnamon Raisin Bread, make sure to leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, make sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDeltaHospitality.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 7 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- Cinnamon Schmear:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- Extra Ingredients:
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, yeast, and 2 cups flour in bowl of stand mixer.
- Heat butter and milk until warm, 120 to 130 degrees.
- Using flat beater, stir flour mixture into milk mixture.
- Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, 2 more cups flour, salt, and vanilla paste.
- Beat at medium speed 2 more minutes.
- Change to dough hook and add remaining 3-½ cups flour.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a dough rising bucket that has been sprayed with cooking spray and snap on the lid.
- Allow to rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Turn out onto floured surface and roll into rectangle approximately 24"x36".
- Spread with cinnamon schmear and top with raisins.
- Cut in half so that you have 2 - 24"x18" rectangles.
- Cut each rectangle in fourths so that you have 6"x18" pieces of dough (total of 8).
- Roll each rectangle up jellyroll-style from one of the long sides.
- Place each loaf in loaf pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and allow to rise until nearly doubled, about an hour.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes, covering after the first 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly in pan then turn out onto cooling racks.
- When bread is cool, drizzle with glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 681Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 107gFiber: 3gSugar: 54gProtein: 10g