Bacon Cheddar and Chive Scones
Flaky, buttery, and so good! These Bacon Cheddar and Chive Scones are the ultimate breakfast bake. Every bite is loaded with flavor and melt in your mouth delicious!
- 1 ½ pounds bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, grated
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, beat buttermilk and eggs together. Set aside.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
Grate butter into flour. Stir gently.
Add bacon, cheddar, and chives. Mix gently and thoroughly.
Add buttermilk mixture.
Mix only to wet dry ingredients. DO NOT KNEAD!
Divide dough in half.
Take half of dough and form it into a ball.
Place on lightly floured surface.
Gently pat out into a circle.
Cut into 8 wedges.
Repeat with other half of dough.
Place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until light brown.
- Don't have chives? Use green onion tops instead!
- We used applewood smoked bacon because that's our favorite. Use whatever you like!
- Sharp cheddar cheese is recommended, but a mild can be used.
- Keeping the butter cold and then grating it in is the secret to tender scones! We generally use frozen butter for best results. Just be careful!
- Don't spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. The scones will spread instead of puffing up!
- You can use a pastry brush to brush off any excess flour.
- These scones freeze beautifully!
- Don't overwork the dough. Just lightly fold until everything is combined. Don't knead or squish it!
- You can cut these scones into any shape you like.
Serving: 1Scone | Calories: 598kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 22g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 414mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 404IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 203mg | Iron: 1mg