Rich and full of flavor, this chicken stock is the ideal base for soups, stews, and casseroles.
Servings: 4 quarts
- 2-3 chicken carcasses or any combination of chicken carcasses backs, and necks
- 1 large onion wedged
- 2 large carrots cut in 2-3 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery cut in 2-3 inch pieces
- 6-8 cloves garlic crushed
- ⅛ cup whole black peppercorns
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- Salt to taste
Place chicken, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, and thyme (if using) into a large stockpot.
Fill stockpot with water.
Add salt, if desired.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, until broth starts to reduce down.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Strain broth into a large container.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 62mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g