Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Cozy, warming, and extremely healthy! This Homemade Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the perfect soup to have on hand any time of year.
- 2 Tablespoon salted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic, optional
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 ½ cups wild rice
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- salt, to taste
In a 6 quart pot, melt butter over medium heat.
Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic (if using), and red pepper flakes (if using).
Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
Add chicken, rice, tomatoes, and stock.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat.
Cook over low to medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked.
Season to taste with salt.
- If you don't have Homemade Chicken Stock, you can use boullion cubes instead.
- We used Baby Bella mushrooms, but you can also use white button.
- To make things quick, you can buy a store-bought roast chicken and pre-chopped vegetables!
- This soup stores and reheats really well.
- Make sure you stir this soup often, You don't want the rice to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- This recipe is gluten free.
Serving: 1.5cupsCalories: 392kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 33gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 593mgPotassium: 996mgFiber: 4gSugar: 11gVitamin A: 2233IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 3mg
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.