Caramel Apple Layer Cake with Caramel Frosting
The ultimate Caramel Apple Layer Cake! This cake is moist, perfectly sweet, and absolutely delicious. Every bite is genuinely like eating a caramel apple! SO. GOOD.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups applesauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups grated apple
- 2 ¼ cups salted butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ⅛ cup caramel sauce
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray 3 eight inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together apples, applesauce, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla.
Pour over dry ingredients.
Fold in apples.
Divide evenly into prepared pans.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until cake tests done.
In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cream, corn syrup, butter, and boiled cider.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts.
Continue cooking until mixture reaches 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
Remove from heat.
Stir in cinnamon.
Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy.
Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each.
Beat until fluffy and smooth.
Mix in caramel sauce.
Stir in cream in small amounts until desired spreading consistency.
Putting It Together
Place one cake layer on cake plate.
Spread with a layer of frosting.
Repeat with second layer.
Add third layer.
Spread remaining icing over entire cake.
Top with remaining caramel sauce.
Decorate as desired.
- Be sure to read the recipe all the way through before starting.
- The cake is very dense and moist after baking.
- Trimming the cake is a little difficult due to the grated apple in the cake. Be careful!
- Do not over cook the caramel! Once the thermometer reaches 235 degrees, remove it from the heat.
- Make sure the thermometer doesn't touch the bottom of the pot.
- We used about 5 large Honeycrisp Apples for this recipe.
- The frosting may need more than 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream.
- If you don't want to make caramel, you can use a store-bought sauce.
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 1203kcalCarbohydrates: 151gProtein: 7gFat: 66gSaturated Fat: 32gPolyunsaturated Fat: 13gMonounsaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 792mgPotassium: 223mgFiber: 2gSugar: 122gVitamin A: 1624IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 160mgIron: 2mg
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.