Flourless Red Velvet Fallen Soufflé Cake
Light, airy, and extra chocolate-y! This Flourless Red Velvet Fallen Soufflé Cake is the ultimate holiday treat. The absolute best part? This cake is naturally gluten free and SO good!
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter melted
- 5 large eggs separated
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon red food coloring
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray an 8-inch round pan with baking spray. Set aside.
Place chocolate pieces in a medium bowl.
Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is completely melted.
Whisk in melted butter and egg yolks. Set aside.
Beat egg whites at high speed of an electric mixer until they start to thicken.
Slowly stream in sugar while continuing to beat.
Add red food coloring.
Continue to beat to stiff peaks.
Fold chocolate mixture into remaining meringue.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick or tester comes out with a few crumbs still on it.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Be sure to follow the recipe exactly!
- Do not over cook this cake. It needs to be slightly underdone.
- When beating the egg whites, be sure nothing else gets in them! No water, no egg yolks. The littlest thing can cause your egg whites not to whip. Be vigilant!
- If your egg whites won't whip, add a pinch of cream of tartar.
- Folding in the chocolate into the egg whites properly can be a bit tricky. Use the fold and cut through technique for best results!
- Try not to lose all the air from the egg whites when folding them in! This is what gives the cake some lift and keeps it from being dense.
- Use baking spray and line the pan with parchment for the best results!
- Tap the cake pan against the counter as the cake cools to ensure that you achieve that fallen look.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 317IU | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 3mg