Lemon Blueberry Scones
Sweet, lemon-y, and bursting with blueberries! These super simple Lemon Blueberry Scones are the best treat to start your day.
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- 10 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- sparkling sugar
Heat oven to 375° F.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together cream and egg. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
Cut in shortening with a pastry blender to the size of small peas.
Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients.
Stir just until combined.
Fold in blueberries.
Roll out into 9"x12" rectangle.
Cut into 12 squares.
Place on prepared baking sheets.
Freeze for 20 minutes.
Brush tops with cream.
Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
- You can use frozen blueberries for this recipe.
- Instead of sparkling sugar, you can drizzle these scones with a vanilla icing after baking!
- 10 Tablespoons of vegetable shortening is equal to 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons.
- If you don't have a pastry blender, you can use a fork to cut in the vegetable shortening!
- Be careful to not over-mix the dough.
- Remember to dry your blueberries! If you add them while they're still wet, it will make the dough very sticky and hard to work with.
- Do not place more than 6 scones per pan! They tend to spread.
- Brushing with milk and topping with sparkling sugar is optional, but highly recommended!
- Every oven bakes differently. Keep an eye on the scones!
Serving: 1scone | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 66mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 288IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2mg