Homemade Cream of Celery Soup
This Homemade Cream of Celery Soup is creamy, delicious, and the perfect addition to so many dishes as well as just eating on it's own! So. Good.
Servings: 5 cups
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups [chicken stock]
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium stockpot, melt butter. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Stir in flour and then chicken broth.
Add milk, cream, and thyme.
Puree with a stick blender (or a traditional blender, in small batches).
Cook over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Season with salt and pepper.
- You can make this recipe vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for chicken stock.
- You could also make this recipe gluten free by substituting corn starch for the flour! Just make sure you add the corn starch at the very end rather than when the flour is added.
- Don't have fresh thyme? Don't worry! You can use an 1/8 teaspoon dried.
- If you don't have a stick blender, you can use a traditional blender. Just be careful! The soup will be very hot.
- This recipe keeps really well.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 328mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g