Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole with Roasted Marshmallows
Sweet, bourbon-y, hinted throughout with vanilla, and SO. GOOD. This Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole with Roasted Marshmallows is the ultimate side for your holiday dinners!
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ cup butter
- 6 Tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 12 large [marshmallows]
Boil sweet potato chunks for 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Return pot to the stove.
Over a low heat, melt the butter.
Using a ricer, mash the sweet potatoes into the pot. Mix together.
Add sugar, bourbon, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Mix together.
Grease a medium sized casserole, add sweet potatoes.
Place in a 350 degree oven and cook for ten minutes.
Take out of the oven and add marshmallows on top.
Place back into oven until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Feeling adventurous? You can use Homemade Marshmallows instead of store-bought!
- You can use vegan butter and vegan marshmallows to make this casserole vegan.
- Depending on the sweetness of your sweet potatoes, you may need to adjust the amount of sugar and nutmeg you add. Always taste before baking!
- Feel free to add as many or as few marshmallows as you like.
- This casserole actually stores and freezes really well. Just don't add the marshmallows until you're ready to bake!
- This recipe is gluten free, especially if you use homemade marshmallows!
Serving: 1/2 cup | Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 114mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g