As a chocoholic, rocky road ice cream has always been one of my absolute favorite flavors! I can't remember a time when I wasn't eating a version of chocolate ice cream. Whether it was a Mickey ice cream bar, chocolate ice cream, chocolate ice cream with a vanilla swirl, rocky road... The list could go on! Chocolate ice cream is pretty much my go-to order if I'm out somewhere but Rocky Road will always have a special place in my heart.
What's in rocky road ice cream?
Absolute yumminess! It's just milk, vanilla, sugar, cocoa powder, almonds, marshmallows, and lots of chocolate chunks. It's basically a frozen s'more!
How do I make rocky road ice cream?
Actually, pretty easily. The one thing you have to make sure of is not to have a lumpy ice cream mixture. This can happen if you aren't too careful because with this recipe we are using cocoa powder. I recommend separating the dry ingredients from the wet and then slowly mixing them together. In addition to this (and to really insure no lumps), use a fine meshed sieve to push out any lumps you might've missed! This step is crucial because it makes this ice cream sooo smooth and heavenly!
Once you've pushed the mixture through the sieve, add it to an ice cream maker and wait. There's really nothing overly complicated about this recipe. I tend to be a little extra and I like to use our homemade marshmallows and to top it with our amazing caramel sauce (obviously in addition to all the other toppings. If you're gonna indulge, why not seriously indulge)!
Also, a note when you make this recipe, it will not harden. It stays as a soft serve ice cream which is one of my favorite things about this recipe! There is no waiting for it to thaw a little so you can scoop. It's always ready for you to serve or just take a spoonful while you pass by the freezer (I won't tell if you don't!).
Is rocky road gluten free?
Yup! Well, this version is. Gluten is found in starches and grains so there is absolutely no gluten anywhere near this recipe. A word of caution though, if you decide to buy marshmallows for this recipe, check the label and see if there is any gluten.
Let us know what you think about this recipe in the comments section below! Tag us on Instagram @msdeltahospitality or on Facebook at Mississippi Delta Hospitality.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup sugar
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup whole toasted almonds
- ½ cup marshmallows
- 1 Hershey’s special dark chocolate bar, chopped
- (optional) ¼ cup chopped almonds
- (optional) ¼ cup marshmallows
- (optional) 1 Hershey’s special dark bar, chopped
- Mix sugar, salt, and cocoa powder together.
- In a separate bowl, combine heavy cream, half and half, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour milk mixture into dry ingredients.
- Mix together until well combined.
- In a new bowl, pour ice cream mixture through a sieve.
- Freeze according to ice cream makers instructions.
- Place almonds on a small baking sheet and toast at 375 for 5 minutes.
- Chop 1 Hershey bar and (if using homemade) chop ½ cup marshmallows into small squares.
- Stir almonds, marshmallows, and Hershey bar.
- (optional) Top with chopped almonds, marshmallows, and chocolate.
- Place in freezer for 2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 28.5gSaturated Fat: 14.6gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 73.3gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 59.8gProtein: 7.6gg