This Homemade Spaghetti and Meat Sauce is the definition of delicious! Packed full of aromatic veggies, fresh herbs, and spices. We always have some on hand for cold days or when we just need a nice and homey dish. There is really nothing better! Topped with cheese and fresh parsley, this dish really becomes one of the absolute best.
There is so much that I love about this dish. not only have I grown up eating it, it's been in my family for generations!
I think the recipe came from my great grandmother, and my mom has been adapting it and improving it for over 30 years.
I can remember all the variations of this recipe and, I have to say, this is the absolute best! It's spicy, fresh, vibrant, aromatic, and healthy...ish.
I know you're probably thinking, "how can a meat sauce be fresh and vibrant?"
Well, we use fresh herbs and a homemade chili spice/paste. It really lightens the dish, trust me! I don't really like meat heavy meals but this is the ultimate spaghetti and meat sauce. There's a little bit of something for everyone!
how to make spaghetti and meat sauce
First, gather your ingredients! There is a lot of chopping involved so, turn on some music and have fun with it!
In a large pot, combine onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender and onions have become translucent. About 5-10 minutes.
Once the vegetables are done, set them aside. Get another large pot and cook the ground beef. Dump into a colander to drain the grease. Placethe cooked ground beef back into the large pot.
Add seasonings and mix well. Combine the cooked vegetables from earlier and the ground beef.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, and parmesan rind to the ground beef mixture. Cook for about 2 hours.
Once the meat sauce is done, follow the instructions on the back of the box to cook the pasta of your choosing. Serve immediately!
can you freeze meat sauce?
Absolutely! You can store it in single servings for meal prep, or in a larger freezer safe bag to have more. We do both of these options because sometimes, not everyone wants spaghetti and meat sauce at the same time.
Or, if you have company, having a larger portion makes for a great and quick meal!
is meat sauce gluten free
Actually, yes! This recipe is completely gluten free but always remember to double check your ingredients.
- This recipe can be made with dry spices but I promise you that it tastes so much better with fresh!
- To save time on mincing garlic, try using a food processor.
- Make sure you drain the meat after you brown it!
- Don't skip adding the parmesan. It really adds to and rounds out the flavor!
- Don't add any seasonings until after the meat is drained.
- This recipe can easily be saved and frozen into single portions for meal prep, or saved into larger portions for the whole family to enjoy!
When you make this Homemade Spaghetti and Meat Sauce recipe, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDeltaHospitality.
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 heads garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup fresh herbs, chopped
- 1 parmesan rind
- pasta, your choice
- Heat olive oil in large pot until shimmering.
- Add onions, bell peppers, celery, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Cook until tender.
- Set aside.
- Brown ground beef and drain thoroughly.
- Combine ground beef, vegetables, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, cayenne, black pepper, fresh herbs, and parmesan rind in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and serve immediately!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 735mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g