Thick, hearty, spicy, one pot, slow-simmered chili makes for the best and easiest winter weeknight meal! This recipe has pantry staple ingredients, ready in about two and a half hours, and absolutely delicious. You really couldn't ask for a better one pot meal.
Raise your hand if you love chili!
We definitely do in this house. This recipe has been around for as long as I can remember. As soon as the temperature started to drop, you could always count on my mom making this hearty chili.
And who's complaining? This is so aromatic that it makes the whole house smell warm and inviting!
The flavors are equally as good. Spicy - but not the, "ohmygosh! My mouth is on fire" kinda spicy, but more a comforting and warming spice, rich without being too rich, a perfect balance between the meat to veggie to bean, and it gets better with leftovers!
Seriously, there's no way to not enjoy this! But, if you're like me and always looking for something a little different, here are some topping ideas to make this chili really POP with flavor.
- Cheese, specifically cheddar cheese because - YUM!
- Avocado chunks/slices. This adds a whole 'nother level. Creamy, smooth, SO. GOOD.
- Sour cream! Same as the avocado but adds another depth of flavor.
- Green onions because... why not?
- Jalapeño slices for a little extra kick!
- Corn chips or fritos because an extra crunch is always a good thing. Plus, if you use corn chips, you don't have to worry about messing up a spoon. Less dishes!
Or, be a monster like me and add literally all of that to one bowl of chili. Who's gonna stop me?
Well, no matter what, this chili is always delicious even if you decide not to add toppings because it's seriously that good.
how to make chili
Super easily!! First, go ahead and prep all your ingredients and get them together.
In a large pot, combine the ground beef and onions. Sauté until the ground beef is thoroughly cooked and the onions are tender.
Strain the grease from the beef and place back into the pot. Add all the other ingredients and cook down for about 2 and a half hours. Serve immediately and enjoy!
See? I told you this is literally the easiest chili recipe ever!
can chili be frozen
Actually, yes!! This is a big batch recipe specifically for that reason. Even though we don't have a huge family, we always try to make recipes in bigger batches to freeze and have on had!
I recommend storing this in freezer safe bags. The size and quantity is up to you! It works great for both single servings and large portions for the whole family.
is chili healthy
Contrary to popular belief, this chili is actually very healthy! Well, as healthy as a big pot of meat can be. Draining the grease from the meat is what makes the difference. The kidney beans add an extra punch of protein, as well as fiber and potassium. The tomatoes, onions, and garlic have their own health benefits.
If you’re looking for a high protein meal, this is definitely it!
- Make sure the ground beef is totally thawed before you start cooking!
- Using our homemade chili paste makes all the difference in this recipe.
- Don't skip draining the meat! This makes a huge difference in the chili.
- This recipe freezes really well!
When you make this Best and Easiest Chili recipe, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDeltaHospitality.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2-14 ½ ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2–14 ½ ounce cans red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 head garlic, minced
- In a medium stockpot, cook ground beef and onions until ground beef is cooked through and onions are tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Return to stockpot and add tomatoes, kidney beans, salt, pepper, tomato paste, chili paste, and garlic.
- Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 988Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 549mgCarbohydrates: 124gFiber: 35gSugar: 6gProtein: 76g