Vegan Almond Layer Cake with Almond Buttercream Frosting
This secretly vegan Almond Layer Cake With Almond Buttercream Frosting is everything you're looking to bake this Spring/Summer! It's sweet, moist, easy to make, and you would never guess that it was vegan. SO. GOOD.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegan egg
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray two 8-inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Add egg, milk, oil, and vanilla.
Whisk until smooth.
Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until done.
Beat butter until creamy.
Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in extract.
Putting It Together
Place 1 cake layer on a cake board or cake plate.
Spread 1/2 cup frosting evenly across.
Top with second layer.
Spread rest of frosting on top and around cake until completely coated.
Decorate as desired.
- Don't have almond flour? No worries! Add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract and use 2 cups of all-purpose flour. The flavor won't be as good, but it will still taste like almonds.
- If you aren't vegan and want to make this recipe, use 2 large eggs and 3/4 cup whole milk. To make the frosting, use 1 1/2 cups salted butter.
- If your almond flour is lumpy, you may need to sift it.
- When making the cake batter, make sure you beat out all the lumps! The batter should be smooth.
- You may need to cut the tops off of the cake layers to ensure that they're even.
- If the frosting is too thick to spread onto the cake, add a splash of almond milk.
- The recipe makes one layer cake. We doubled the recipe for the pictures.
- Depending on how you decorate this cake, you may need more frosting.
- We used almond oil based butter for the buttercream.
- Make sure the almond milk is unsweetened!
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 668IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 1mg