Classic Red Bean Chili
A cold weather essential! Warm, hearty, spicy and all things a good chili should be. There's really not a better one-pot meal!
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 4 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 ½ Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water, optional
In a medium stockpot, cook ground beef and onions until ground beef is cooked through and onions are tender.
Return to stockpot and add tomatoes, kidney beans, salt, pepper, tomato paste, chili paste, garlic, and water (if using).
Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Don't overcook this chili! The more it cooks, the less flavor it has. 2 hours is the perfect amount of cook time.
- If you use canned tomatoes, that's two 16 ounce cans of diced tomatoes.
- Chili Paste is our homemade version of chili spice. You can use dried spices in its place, but the chili paste really makes a difference in this recipe!
- Don't skip draining the beef. Getting rid of the excess grease makes this for a lighter, healthier chili!
- This recipe freezes really well.
Serving: 1.25cupCalories: 416kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 27gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 606mgPotassium: 953mgFiber: 7gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 350IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 5mg
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.