With today being St. Patrick's Day, Guiness is all over the place down here. We were in the grocery store yesterday and walked by the rack of single beers. They had a Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. I have never seen it before, so I picked it up! It said it had flavors of chocolate, fruit, and caramel. I told Caylie that I thought I could do something with that. We brought it home and turned it into these delicious Guiness Dark Chocolate Cupcakes!
There's not a strong taste of beer - just some hints of caramel and an intensification of the chocolate. We opted for an American Chocolate Buttercream - with a little less sugar, and a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce on top. I confess. We kinda sorta cheated... I already had some homemade caramel made up. We just added some heavy cream when we reheated it to make it into a sauce.
I have included the recipe for the caramel sauce below, if you want to go that route. But I think you could probably just use your favorite soft caramel heated up with a bit of cream!
Can you bake with beer?
The answer is a resounding yes! It gave these cupcakes an extra kick and made them rise beautifully! They came out so moist and tender. I think I'm going to be looking for more excuses to bake with beer.
Are these cupcakes hard to make?
No. Not at all! These chocolate cupcakes are so easy to make. You put all the dry ingredients in the bowl. Add the wet ingredients - except the beer. Mix it all together. And stir the beer in last. It fizzes up, so I would stir in a little at a time instead of all at once. (This is experience talking!) Fill your muffin cups like normal and bake. It doesn't add any extra time, and you come out with these wonderfully tall cupcakes that don't bleed over the sides!
Let us know what you think about this recipe in the comments below.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Guinness foreign extra stout
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add cupcake papers to a muffin pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Mix until well combined (about 2 minutes).
- Add Guinness a little at a time and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean.
- Let them cool slightly then remove cupcakes and place on a cooling rack.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Add coca and confectioner's sugar alternately with milk; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Frost the cupcakes when they've completely cooled.
- Add sugar and salt to a small heavy sauce pan. (Make sure the sugar is spread evenly on the bottom of the sauce pan!)
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar melts (about 10-12 minutes).
- Stop stirring and cook for another minute. It should be a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter. (It will bubble up!)
- Whisk in cream a little at a time.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Let cool completely and use a spoon to lightly drizzle the sauce over your cupcakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 21 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 3gSugar: 39gProtein: 10g