Silky smooth, easy to make, great for piping or spreading. This Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is perfect for any need. Made with five simple and pantry staple ingredients! Ready in five minutes, this chocolate frosting is the only one you need.
About The Recipe
We were actually debating whether or not to share this recipe or not. It’s just a buttercream frosting, but we just couldn’t resist! It’s silky smooth and so, so decedent. It almost tastes like biting into a chocolate bar.
It’s light, fluffy, perfect for icing cakes, piping, or whatever you want! This is truly the best frosting!
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
Place butter in the mixer and beat until smooth.
Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Now, slowly add dry ingredients into the butter and beat well. Add vanilla and milk once the butter starts to crumble/dry out. Beat well and add the rest of the dry ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy.
Done! Spread onto a cake or put into a piping bag and go to town.
How To Store
You can place this in an airtight container and keep in the fridge, or even store in the freezer! The frosting will harden due to the butter becoming cold. You can set it out a few hours and re-beat so it’ll be light and fluffy once again.
Can You Dye Chocolate Frosting
Actually, yes! Though, it can’t be bright colors. Ever wondered how people achieve true black frosting? This is the secret!
Chocolate frosting is already such a deep color that when you add black, it creates a wonderful true black that is absolutely perfect!
- If your frosting remains crumbly even after the addition of milk and vanilla, it’s okay! You can always add a splash or two more of milk until it smoothens out.
- If you have the exact opposite problem and your frosting is too runny, add a few spoon fulls of cocoa powder/powdered sugar until it thickens back up to the correct consistency! Just make sure you beat until it’s light and fluffy.
- This icing can be spread or piped! It works well either way.
- Make sure you sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar! You don’t want a lumpy frosting.
When you make this recipe, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #BakersTable.
Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup cocoa, sifted
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa. Set aside.
- Cream butter.
- Add cocoa mixture, alternately with milk, beating until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.