This is one of my all-time favorites pies! It is rich and creamy and hits all the right notes. I have made hundreds, if not thousands, of these throughout my culinary career - both full-sized pies and bite-sized. The bite-sized ones are still one of my most requested desserts for parties! This is one of the few recipes that I have that I haven't tinkered with or changed in any way over the years.
What is French Silk Pie?
It is a rich, luscious, decadent dessert that is surprisingly easy to make. The chocolate filling in this pie is as smooth as silk, hence the name. Top it off with a lightly sweetened whipped cream and some chocolate shavings. It literally melts in your mouth. It's so good it is addictive!
A word of caution though, French Silk Pie does contain raw eggs. Even though the eggs are combined with the melted chocolate, they are not cooked. I would use only pasteurized eggs for this recipe, not fresh ones.
Can I freeze French Silk Pie?
Yes! The individual bite-sized pies and whole pies freeze perfectly! I've honestly never tried slicing and freezing individual slices, but I think that would probably work well too. Just remember to give it time to thaw before serving!
If you like this recipe, let us know in the comments below.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 ⅜ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 9-inch pre-baked pie crust
- Chocolate shavings, for topping
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler over low heat.
- Slowly whisk chocolate into eggs.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar.
- Slowly add chocolate mixture.
- Beat well, scraping bowl as needed.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a pre-baked 9-inch pie shell.
- Chill until set.
- When pie is set, make whipped cream.
- Beat heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar until medium peaks form.
- Spoon into piping bag fitting with desired tip and pipe onto top of pie.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 55mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 6g