There's nothing better than Homemade Apple Pie Filling! From the sweetness of the fresh apples to the subtle spiciness from the cinnamon, every part of this pie filling is perfect! Plus, it's super easy to make. It's a total win-win situation here!
Okay, I bet you're wondering what on earth we are doing posting a homemade apple pie filling recipe.
Well, to be honest, there's no bad time to have apple pie. In my opinion, it's probably one of the best pie's out there!
Trust me, I'm speaking from many years of taste testing.
In the South, there were always pies during the holidays - pecan pie, chocolate pie, chess pie, etc.
So. Much. Pie.
I can't think of a time when people weren't bringing a pie. Birthday? Have a pie. Funereal? Pie. Anniversary? Pie.
But no matter what, someone always made apple pie. It's a comforting classic that almost everyone loves.
I probably love it a little too much but hey, c'est la vie!
How to make apple pie filling
The first step is making sure you have all your ingredients ready to go. This is a dump and go type dish but still, you gotta make sure you don't need to go run to the store in the middle of cooking!
Next, you need to combine all ingredients into a big pot and stir them a bit to combine all the ingredients before you turn on the heat.
Now cook over medium-low heat for about 5-10 minutes or until the apples slightly soften. This will produce the best flavor for your apple pie or any other desserts you may be making!
What to do with leftover apple pie filling
This seems to be a very popular question and we're here to answer it!
The best thing about apple pie filling is you can do almost anything you want. Go as far as your imagination will take you but for now, here are a few ideas!
- Apple Galette
- Apple Pie Breakfast Oatmeal
- Skillet Apple Crumble
- Pop Tarts
- Filled Doughnuts
And that's just the tip of the ice berg. There's so many things you can make with this delicious apple pie filling!
- Using a corer and peeler will make the prep a breeze! I highly recommend the one in the recipe card. I have used it for years and absolutely adore it!
- Try to find apples that are firm to the touch and have no bruises. This will insure a great texture with no sour tasting apples in your filling.
- Any apple can be used for this recipe but we prefer Granny Smith due to its ability to hold flavor and texture when cooked.
- We love to use our Homemade Boiled Cider but store bought works just fine. This is our secret ingredients so make sure to not skip this ingredient!
When you make this Homemade Apple Pie Filling recipe, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDHospitality.
- 8 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 6 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons boiled cider, homemade or store-bought
- 2 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Peel, core, and chop apples.
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When apples become slightly tender, turn off heat and allow to cool before use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 1g