These bacon, cheddar, and chive scones are fast, easy, and packed with flavor! They can be made in advance. And they are just as good at room temperature as they are hot!
I mean, really, what's not to love? It's a biscuit, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives to add a nice bit of color! These scones are a favorite around our house, especially when we are headed out early and don't have time to cook. We make them up the day before and reheat!
How to make bacon, cheddar, and chive scones
Making these scones is very similar to making biscuits. The key is getting everything together ahead of time (mis en place) so you're not scrambling about trying to pull it together as you need it. I promise it will make your cooking experience much better!
Cook the bacon first so that it has time to drain and cool before you crumble it. Go on and grate the cheese, and chop the chives; and set them aside. Measure the proper amount of butter but leave it in the refrigerator. Pour the buttermilk into a measuring cup. Measure out and sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into your mixing bowl. Remove the butter from the refrigerator and grate it into the flour mixture, and toss it gently. Lightly stir in the rest of the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and mix only until the dry ingredients are wet. DON'T overwork the dough!
Divide dough in half. Place half of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about 1" thick. Using a pizza cutter (or a sharp knife), cut the dough into 8 wedges. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with other half of dough and bake them until a light golden brown!
- Keeping the butter cold and then grating it in is the secret to tender scones. Don't chop the butter into chunks or cut it in.
- If you don't have chives, use the tops of green onions instead.
- Don't spray the parchment paper with cooking spray. The scones will spread instead of puffing up.
- Use a pastry brush to brush off any excess flour.
- These scones freeze beautifully!
Let us know what you think about this recipe in the comments!
- 1 ½ pounds bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, grated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cook bacon, drain, crumble and set aside.
- Grate cheddar cheese. Set aside
- Chop chives and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Grate butter into flour. Stir gently.
- Add bacon, cheddar, and chives. Mix gently and thoroughly.
- Add buttermilk.
- Mix only to wet dry ingredients. DO NOT KNEAD!
- Divide dough in half.
- Take half of dough and form it into a ball.
- Place on lightly floured surface.
- Gently pat out into a circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until light brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1036mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g