The simplest and extra chocolate-y Double Chocolate Madeleines. Made with 9 ingredients and two kinds of chocolate, these cute little cakes are the perfect treat to bake now, this weekend, whenever! The best part? These madeleines are ready in less than 30 minutes, are dipped in extra chocolate, and are oh-so impressive…with minimal effort!
Madeleines: The Basics and Everything You Need To Know
While madeleines are often thought to be a difficult and time-consuming pastry, we’ve found a way to achieve the perfect French madeleine in less than 30 minutes. During our testing and development of our original madeleine recipe, we discovered that the overnight rest typically associated with these pastries is actually not necessary. We found no real flavor or texture change between an overnight rest and no rest period. The same held true for the chocolate.
Now, let’s talk chocolate. For this recipe, you need to use a Dutch Process Cocoa Powder! You cannot use Natural Process/regular cocoa powder. When it comes to the actual melted chocolate, it’s best to either use a high quality bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate (60% – 70%)!
The Secret Behind The Perfect Madeleine
During development and testing of our madeleine recipe, we discovered that using European-style salted butter was a crucial element in achieving the ideal texture and flavor. We experimented with so many different types of butter and found that using European-style butter resulted in a more tender, moist, and flavorful madeleine. Its higher fat content adds a richness and depth to the madeleines that regular butter simply can’t replicate.
So, be sure to use European-style salted butter for the best results when making these double chocolate madeleines. It’s a simple yet essential ingredient that can make a significant difference in the final bake!
What To Expect With This Recipe
- Quality and ease. This recipe has been developed and thoroughly tested by Traci, a professional pastry chef, as well as thoroughly taste tested by friends and family! We believe that a dessert can be both flavorful and decadent without being difficult to make.
- Less time. Unlike traditional madeleines, these delicious chocolate madeleines are ready in less than 30 minutes!
- Irresistible texture. A light and airy texture with a slightly crisp exterior. The interior is moist and delicate, creating a delightful contrast with the slightly firmer outer shell.
- Flavor. These chocolate madeleines offer a rich and intense chocolate flavor, enhanced by a sweet and buttery undertone. The addition of melted chocolate creates a deep, decadent taste that will always leave you wanting more.
9 Essential Ingredients You’ll Need
- All-Purpose Flour – No pastry flour needed here! We tested this recipe both ways and using plain, unbleached all-purpose flour gives these madeleines the perfect texture every time.
- Dutch Process Cocoa Powder – Adds a subtle chocolate flavor to these petit cakes!
- Baking Powder – Provides just enough rise to give these cakes a light and airy texture, while also helping get the iconic “hump” on the back of each little cake.
- Granulated Sugar – Adds just the right amount of sweetness.
- Brown Sugar – We added a little brown sugar to give these madeleines a richer flavor.
- Honey – Not only does honey help sweeten, but it adds a wonderful flavor to these madeleines!
- Eggs – The binder that holds all the ingredients together, eggs also contribute structure, stability, moisture, and richness.
- Bittersweet Chocolate – This is our secret ingredient that gives these madeleines their intense chocolate flavor!
- European-Style Salted Butter – This is a must-have for this recipe, as European-style butter has a higher fat and lower water content than regular butter!
How To Make Chocolate Madeleines In 30 Minutes or LESS!
Step 1: Prepare batter
In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, eggs, honey, and melted chocolate.
With a rubber spatula, fold in flour a little at a time.
Fold in the butter. Continue folding gently until incorporated and batter is smooth.
Step 2: Bake
Using a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop, portion the batter into prepared pans. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cakes spring back when touched.
Cool in pans for 3-4 minutes before turning out.
Step 3: Melt chocolate
Combine chocolate and oil in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring well after each, until melted and smooth.
Step 4: Dip
Dip ¼ – ½ of each madeleine into melted chocolate.
Madeleines are technically considered a small sponge cake rather than cookies. They are baked in a distinctive shell-shaped mold, resulting in a delicate, cake-like texture with a slightly crispy exterior.
It is possible to make madeleines without a madeleine pan, but the traditional shell-like shape may be challenging to achieve. Alternative molds or pans, such as a mini muffin pan, can be used, but you will not have the classic shell-shaped appearance.
Madeleines are best enjoyed fresh, but they can be frozen for up to 1 month.
It’s essential to avoid over-baking them! Additionally, ensuring that the batter is not over-mixed and that the madeleines are stored properly in an airtight container once cooled can help maintain their moisture.
When you make these Double Chocolate Madeleines, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #BakersTable.
Double Chocolate Madeleines
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 375℉.
- Lightly spray madeleine pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, eggs, honey, and melted chocolate.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in flour a little at a time.
- Fold in butter.
- Continue folding gently until incorporated and batter is smooth.
- Use a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop to portion batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cakes spring back when touched.
- Cool in pans for 3-4 minutes before turning out.
- Combine chocolate and oil in microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring well after each, until melted and smooth.
- Dip ¼ – ½ of each madeleine into melted chocolate.
Notes + Tips!
- Do not over-mix this batter. You will need to gently fold in the dry ingredients in small amounts, as well as fold in the butter. Do not whisk, stir, or beat!
- The butter needs to be a European-Style butter, as it has a higher fat content.
- Use a honey that you like the flavor of, but it shouldn’t be too intense. A lighter, milder honey is a great addition to this madeleine!
- Be sure to lightly spray the madeleine pan(s). We found through our testing that over spraying caused the madeleine to not properly form to the pan.
- Don’t over fill the madeleine pan! About 1 level Tablespoon should do it.
- If you aren’t sure the madeleines are done, gently poke the top of one with your finger. If the cake springs back, the cake is done. But, if your finger leaves an indention, you will need to bake for about 1-2 more minutes.
- This recipe is best served fresh!
- If you choose to dip the madeleines, be sure to let them cool before dipping.
- Keep in mind that the more these cakes cool, the less tender they will be.
Tools You May Need (affiliate links)
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
– Still Hungry? –
Here are a few recipes may like!